Wednesday 12 June 2024

Sattu: A Superfood.

 

Sattu: A Superfood.



 

 

I was introduced to Sattu at a healthcare programme and have grown fond of it. I try and incorporate the food into my diet in various ways.

Popular in Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Bihar Uttarakhand, and even some parts of Pakistan Sattu is a protein-rich, plant-based flour made from dry-roasted Bengal gram or chickpeas. This recently recognized superfood is said to have originated in Tibet where it is called TSampa.It is also available in different forms, such as wheat, barley or Jowar.

Sattu ki Kadi 

owar.  Sattu is especially beneficial during the summer because of its cooling properties. Sattu is unique to Bihari cuisine and Litti Choka remains a popular dish even among non-Biharis. Litti is a whole wheat dough ball stuffed with a spiced mixture of sattu and served with a veggie mash called chokha.   The littis are traditionally roasted on charcoal fires but in homes they are generally baked in an oven.   

My favourite dishes with Sattu are a Sattu summer cooler, sattu ki kadi,  I also enjoy Sattu pancakes, and sattu ladoos    You can even mix it with the flour that you use to make your rotis and parathas. I’ve recently begun indulging in a sattu-mango smoothie that I discovered on the internet.  

 

Why is Sattu good for you?

 

·       Maintains blood sugar levels – Sattu is high in fibre and this helps maintain blood sugar levels.

 

·       Aids digestion – The large quantities of insoluble fibre aid in constipation and acidity issues.

 

·       High nutritional value – Sattu is rich in protein, fibre, calcium, iron, manganese and magnesium and the dry roasting process enhances the nutritional value of the flour. With its high protein content, it serves as a good alternative for vegans and vegetarians.


 Two of my favourite recipes: 

Sattu -mango smoothie

Blend one mango, 1/2 cup curd, 4 tbsps sattu, any sweetener of your choice, 1-2 glasses of chilled water.

sattu -mango smoothie



If new to you, kindly consult your healthcare provider before consuming sattu. 

 

 Do you have any favourite health foods? 

 

13 comments:

  1. We eat Sattu with milk as breakfast in Odisha, it's fulfilling and healthy. I have tried Kadhi but this combination of Sattu with curd appears unique to me. I will try it for sure, Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you for stopping by Swati and you're most welcome. Yes, Sattu with dahi tastes good too. You can even just combine the two without the fruit and eat it. Looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never tasted it. I'm wondering how I will get to try this out. Will ask someone to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally buy my stock from Amazon. Two Brothers and Adya Organics are quality buys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is also called the 'poor man's protein ' and is popular among the labour class in Jharkhand and Bihar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post of yours reminds me to try Sattu. We make Sattu laddu, but I've been meaning to try a Sattu health drink without success. I think this post is a sign to give it a go. Also, the mango Sattu looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for reading the post Seetha. please do try the sattu health drink and the mango-curd-sattu dessert. Health bhi taste bhi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I’m 8 months pregnant, I’ve been told to incorporate sattu in my diet. Seems like quite a superfood.
    Noor Anand Chawla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Noor! All the best with your pregnancy and delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sattu is definitely a discovery for me from your post. But we have something similar in the south called 'sathu maavu' which means health powder made from a mixture of nuts and millets and consumed at breakfast by mixing with milk. I am glad you chose to write this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my post. It's good to know about "sathu maavu".

      Delete
  11. My bihari friend introduced me to Sattu in the form of Litti Chokha and it is truly a superfood. I miss her as we stay far away now but next time I visit her will tell her to make some ladoos for me :)

    ReplyDelete

The RK Laxman Museum and Art Gallery

  The RK Laxman Museum and Art Gallery. I was so happy to have had the opportunity to visit this wonderful museum in Pune, in February this ...