Saturday 7 September 2024

Embracing Physical Imperfection: Turning flaws into strengths

 


I was born with a flawed right side – a pronounced limp in my right leg and a right hand that has very little strength to grasp and grip. So that makes me a southpaw for which I have received flak. Many are scandalized by the fact that I eat with my left hand. A cranky rickshaw driver once asked me to hand him the fare with my right hand and not my left. I take it all in my stride now. 

As a child, I was terribly conscious and embarrassed by the flaw, but that never stopped me from playing and running around.  I lack coordination of movement and hence have two left feet which means I cannot dance and just sit quietly at parties. I was also always eliminated from Sports Day March Past practice which made me feel bad. As a lector in church, I have to climb a couple of steps to reach the lectern and there again the limp is remarked upon.  I type with only my left hand and I’m doing well. Even today, I have people asking me about the limp and I patiently answer them, “No, I have not sustained it in an accident but it is a birth impairment."

 Nobody escapes being imperfect. Perfect pictures of men and women on social media could be the result of camera filters and other modern-day technology. Even if the pictures were real we do no need to feel insecure about our physical flaws. Instead accepting and embracing our flaws is a step in the right direction. We just have to change our perspective of looking at our flawed selves.

Time and the wisdom of age and self-acceptance have helped me come to terms with the flaw. I no longer feel the need to be perfect and am no longer embarrassed by the barrage of questions I am subjected to. It’s my life, and I’m living it well with my imperfect self. Perfection exists only in the dictionary of fools. To be human is to be imperfect.

 

How to Embrace Your Physical Flaws:

 

Don’t compare yourself to others

 Society is fixated on perfection.  that can make it challenging to embrace and accept your flaws. Comparing yourself to others is one of the worst things you can do to lower your self–esteem. Every one of us is different and unique. There very well could be an insecure person hiding behind that mask of perfectionism. Take stock of the things you don’t like about yourself and look at them differently. Flaws and struggles help you build character.

 

Practice Self-acceptance

 

Acknowledge your imperfections without judgment. Recognise that they are part of your unique self. Learn to accept and embrace the diversity of the human form.

 

Positivity is the key

 

Engage in positive affirmations and self-talk. Understand and know that your worth is not defined by your physical appearance, but rather by the person you are. Connect with positive people who accept you unconditionally and recognize your true worth.

 

Engage in self-care practices

 

Practice self-care to boost your confidence. Dress in a manner that makes you feel confident and secure and look good.

 

Shift Focus

Shift your focus to things that you love about yourself. Celebrate your talents, your values and your contribution to society.

 

Embracing your flaws is a journey of self-acceptance and loving yourself just the way you are. Fat or thin, lame or balding, each one has been blessed with qualities and talents that go far beyond physical appearance. Don’t care a dam about what society thinks or says. I'm grateful that my in-laws accepted me for who I am and my spouse and sons are pretty cool too. 

 

This post is part of the #BlogchatterHalfMarathon2024.


Image credit: picture from my personal album and creation on BE Funky by 'yours truly'

 

 

1 comment:

The RK Laxman Museum and Art Gallery

  The RK Laxman Museum and Art Gallery. I was so happy to have had the opportunity to visit this wonderful museum in Pune, in February this ...