Monday 1 July 2024

Two little birds are Chirping on my sill today.

 

Two Chirping birds

 

 

The alarm clock failed to ring and wake me at the usual hour but I was awakened from deep slumber by the sound of incessant chirping. I rubbed my sleep-laden eyes and turned my head towards the window…

There perched on the sill were a crow and sparrow in animated conversation. I was annoyed that the alarm hadn’t gone off but couldn’t help smiling as I watched these two. I decided to listen in.

Carl the crow – (cawing loudly) “Good morning Sally, how are you today?”

Sally the sparrow: “I’m good. I’m still rejoicing over my lucky day, which was yesterday. I found a birdbath filled with water. I’m so grateful to the humans who care for us, especially during this hot summer. Besides, the bird feeder around the corner was full of tasty tidbits. Praise the Lord for Avian lovers.”  

Carl the crow- Good for you! It’s good to begin the day on a positive note.

Sally the sparrow: “Absolutely. However, I don’t understand these humans. As soon as they open their eyes they grab their phones. As if their phones are running away!”

Carl the crow: “They live in their phones. Period.”

Sally the sparrow: “Their phones are getting smarter by the day and the smarter the phone, the more expensive it gets…Crazy! We could write books on humans and their quirky habits.”

Carl the Crow: “Ha-ha! So where are you off to, today?”

Sally the sparrow: “Just tree hopping. I plan to visit some friends I haven’t met for a long time and catch up with them.”

Carl the crow: “That’s great! There is nothing like good old–fashioned chit-chat. Good for the soul.”

Sally the sparrow: “What are your plans for today?”

Carl the crow: “I might take a peek into the garbage cans and then I plan to collect some more twigs to build my nest and make it safer before the rains commence.    

Sally the sparrow: “That reminds me, I too must secure my nest. I also wanted to travel a little before the actual downpours. Maybe fly to the other side of the river and do a bit of sightseeing. I believe it is greener and quieter there.”

Carl the crow – “Then do it, dear Sally! “You must”.

Sally the sparrow: “Thank you. I must be off now. My friends will be waiting for me.”

Carl the crow: “See you soon. I’m waiting to hear about your travels.”

 


The conversation brought to mind the simple but profound moments of life. Birdsong may not be just birds chirping, but a symphony of life’s dreams, joys and sorrows. So the next time you hear birdsong, listen in and imagine what they must be saying.

 

Top post on Blogchatter

3 comments:

The RK Laxman Museum and Art Gallery

  The RK Laxman Museum and Art Gallery. I was so happy to have had the opportunity to visit this wonderful museum in Pune, in February this ...